For many, the love of travel begins in childhood, with a family vacation taken across the state or across the world. And, year after year, it’s these shared family experiences that create lasting bonds and lifelong memories.
A great family vacation is as unique as each family. With near-endless vacation options, it’s smart to enlist the help of an expert travel agent to match you with the top family friendly destinations and accommodations that are perfect for your family. To get you started, here are a few things to keep in mind when planning a family trip.
Define Your Version of “Family”
Your family vacation doesn’t have to include only those who live in your house. Invite your parents along. Extend an invitation to your siblings. Ask the kids to bring a friend! Today, just as families come in all shapes and sizes, so do family trips. Multigenerational travel—or traveling with kids, parents and grandparents—is especially popular because it gives all members of your extended family a chance to spend quality time together while enjoying a destination . . . and, if your kids are little, it affords you built-in babysitters!
Know Where to Go with Kids
You can enjoy a family vacation almost anywhere, it’s true, but here’s a quick look at several top family friendly destinations that offer the most for every member of your family:
- Alaska: This US state has an abundance of wildlife and adventure; it’s ideal for families who love the great outdoors and are looking for unforgettable bonding experiences.
- Hawaii: This US state has great family friendly beaches and a variety of family friendly resorts and condos; each Hawaiian island appeals to families for different reasons based on its own personality and offerings.
- Caribbean: This alluring destination has many islands to choose from—it’s wise to pick an island based on where you’re traveling from, as well as your interests (water sports, outdoor adventures, new cultures, etc.)
- Europe: This historic destination can be enjoyed by younger members of the family but it’s best as a way to introduce older children to the diverse cultures, cuisines, museums and languages of Europe’s countries.
- Mexico: This affordable destination has great family friendly beaches, a strong culture, a variety of family friendly accommodations and is close to home if you’re traveling from the United States.
- Costa Rica: This nature filled destination has much to offer families looking for a more adventurous twist to their holiday. From zip lining in the jungles, volcanoes to sandy beaches, Costa Rica offers a wide range of activities and accommodation options.
Know Where to Stay with Kids
When it comes to family vacations, think outside the hotel room. You’ll find much more room—and often a real travel deal—when you stay in a suite hotel, condominium, villa rental or apartment rental or when you enjoy an all-inclusive family vacation or a family cruise (cruising with kids is especially fun). Sure, there are many choices, but the good news is we can make quick work of helping you decide which family friendly vacation option is best for your family. One of our favorite all-inclusive resort options are the Beaches resorts in Jamaica and the Turks & Caicos.
Get Tips for Traveling with Children
Contact us for personalized tips for traveling with your children based on essential elements like their ages and interests. Beyond that, our best tip is to get out there and do it: When you travel with your kids, you truly give them the world.