You like the adrenalin of an adventure. Or perhaps you only define “getting away” as getting really far away—to an unfamiliar-to-you destination where everything from the language to the cuisine is exotic.
With this kind of trip especially, an expert travel agent is your invaluable resource. When you know very little about a destination and are looking to fully immerse yourself in the culture—or you’re focused more on the excitement than the details—we can match you with just the experience you’re looking to enjoy. To get you started, here are a few things to keep in mind when planning your next exotic adventure:
Know Where to Go
You don’t want to travel half-way around the world to find a place that’s just like home—you want something different, new-to-you and unforgettable. Here’s a quick look at several top exotic destinations and great spots for adventure travel:
- Africa: Head to the “origin of life,” and have your own life-changing experience with the virtually untouched landscapes (like the magnificence of Victoria Falls), dazzling wildlife (too many to name), a range of travel options (from tented safaris to luxury lodges in the Serengeti and even wine tastings outside of Cape Town) and truly exotic people, cuisines and culture—everything here is most likely different than what you know.
- South America: If you’re looking to get up close and personal with unusual wildlife, head to the Galapagos; if you’re searching for amazing history, kind people, rainforests and World Heritage sites like Machu Picchu, plan on Peru—while there, we recommend using Iquitos as your home base for exploring the amazing Amazon.
- Antarctica: This unpopulated destination is hard to get to, but it’s well worth the effort just to say you’ve been there. Beyond bragging rights, here you’ll be dazzled by amazing scenery and . . . penguins! One of our favorite ways to experience Antarctica is by expedition ship (some of which can be very luxurious, if you’re so inclined).
- Asia: The countries that make up Asia are home to wonderfully exotic people, cuisines and culture . . . and history buffs especially will enjoy destinations like China, Cambodia and Vietnam, where you can get a taste of ancient traditions, and where you can expect to be thrilled by modern and very futuristic offerings, too.
- Alaska: If you’re a truly adventurous traveler, make your way to America’s final frontier, and you’ll be rewarded with hundreds of miles of untouched landscape, all kinds of wildlife (which you can take in with outings like polar bear treks and whale watches) and you can even fly to the top of the world in Barrow. For those looking for a hint of adventure, doing an Alaska cruise in anther way to sample this part of he word
This list is by no means complete! Contact us today and get matched up with your perfect destination and accommodation.
Know Where to Stay
You’re not in Kansas anymore. Or, maybe you are! Wherever the search for exotic or adventure takes you, it’s important to remember that what you define as a “standard” hotel room won’t necessarily translate. In other words, there are differing standards across the globe, from very modest to ultra-luxe, and it’s important to have realistic expectations for each destination. Not sure what to expect? We’ll go over all of your options and what will work best for you.
Know When to Go with a Group or Travel with a Guide
Sure, you love adventure or travelling somewhere exotic, which means you’re most likely an independent traveler. But, depending on your destination, there are myriad benefits (like access to insider knowledge and sometimes travel deals) to joining a group tour, taking a hiking/walking/biking trip or touring with a private guide. With the right group or guide, you won’t miss any of your independence, and you’ll enjoy thoughtfully planned, like-a-local experiences you most likely wouldn’t have had on your own