There’s more than just safety when it comes to numbers—there are travel discounts and other special perks to be had. Welcome to the benefits of group travel! We can help you with every aspect of your group’s trip; in the meantime, here are some things to keep in mind when planning for your next group vacation.
Know the ABCs of Group Travel
If you’re traveling together with a number of people—typically, 10 or more—you might qualify for group travel privileges. Group types are traditionally family members, friends, colleagues, club members, church members, corporate incentive groups and seniors. Group travel discounts and special perks often apply at:
- Resorts: You may qualify for a group discount based on the number of people traveling together (expect a 10-room minimum);
- Cruises: This option typically gives you the most bang for your group buck, especially if you select a cruise that departs from a port in the United States, as airfare will then be more affordable;
- Condo and Villa Rentals: Both are a smart choice for groups as they generally afford more space and flexibility;
- Custom Tours with Your Own Private Car/Bus and Driver: This option—which allows you to get a highly personalized destination experience—is popular in Europe and is growing popularity in the United States and Canada;
- Existing Tours: You can join an existing group tour to get in on the savings—there are dozens of group tour companies that offer motorcoach tours around the world; while often more affordable, these tours are not for everyone (up to 50 people per tour) so small group travel (fewer than 20 people) and themed group trips (hiking, biking, walking, food and wine, etc.) are becoming more popular; and
Pick a Group Leader
The organizer of the group—the head of the family or the business owner—is often identified as the group leader, and is typically the one to contact the travel agent for assistance in negotiating the group travel discounts and other special perks. The leader, who typically does a lot of leg work, will often enjoy special privileges, like cruising for free when planning a group cruise.
Plan Your Group Trip in Advance
We recommend planning your group trip six or more months in advance, when possible, to ensure good pricing and to give everyone a chance to budget for the trip. For more must-know tips like this, contact us and then get ready to enjoy the privileges of group travel.